frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

1gbps upgrade

Hi, has anyone else upgraded to 1gbps?

I upgraded and they say it's activated but the speeds are still only around 1.5MB/s > 3.5MB/s

This is only about 25mbps, not even the standard 100mbps.

Yet I pay for 1gbps... the speed is not even any faster. On a VPS from another provider on 1gbps I get 50MB/s, here I get 1.5MB/s!

Comments

• uk1uk1 Member
    I can achieve up to 12MB/sec outgoing. This is a 100mbps connection, so the upgrade does nothing...
  • WilliamWilliam Moderator

Really depends on the location. Some test on 1TB storage with 1Gbps:

Vilnius, Lithuania:

Siauliai, Lithuania:

Frankfurt, Germany:

Milan, Italy:

Athens, Greece:

In this case if the port speed has not changed for you, to investigate the situation it would be required for you to perform iperf3 and MTR tests to and from your server and provide the results via ticket in client area.

• uk1uk1 Member
    Those speeds do vary, however my upload is 3MB/sec which is only 24mbps. I'd expect at least over 100mbps from the UK.

Another provider is much much faster.

I'll try the iperf3 and MTR
  • uk1uk1 Member
    See below, our server 530 Mbits/sec, time4vps 64.9 Mbits/sec, far from a 1gbps port.

ON OUR SERVER
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to {time-vps-server}, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 19.3 KByte (default)
    [  3] local {our-server} port 47502 connected with {time-vps-server} port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  77.8 MBytes  64.9 Mbits/sec
    root@ssd4 [/]# iperf -s
    Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
    [  4] local {our-server} port 5001 connected with {time-vps-server} port 47126
    [  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   632 MBytes   529 Mbits/sec

ON TIME VPS SERVER

Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
    [  4] local {time-vps-server} port 5001 connected with {our-server} port 47502
    [  4]  0.0-10.2 sec  77.8 MBytes  63.6 Mbits/sec

Client connecting to {our-server}, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 19.6 KByte (default)
    [  3] local {time-vps-server} port 47126 connected with {our-server} port 5001
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   632 MBytes   530 Mbits/sec
  • uk1uk1 Member
    which co-incides with the current speed

sending incremental file list

test/

test/testx

396,525,568  11%    7.20MB/s    0:07:11  

fluxuates between 5MB/s and 8MB/sec

The 63.6 Mbits/sec shown in iperf is 8MB/sec

• uk1 said:

I was looking to, but I can't seem to find the option in the UI anymore. Only add-on I see is for additional IP addresses.
  • uk1uk1 Member
    On existing accounts you need to email support and they add it for you
  • ReginaRegina Moderator
    Hi tarasis,

the 1 Gbps Port Speed cannot be ordered as an addon anymore, unfortunately. However, you can order 1 Gbps Port Speed as a component to your VPS. It can be added while purchasing a new VPS. If you already have an active VPS, please create a support ticket and me or my colleague will add this component manually to your VPS.
  • uk1uk1 Member
    Like I said then
  • uk1 said:

I upgraded and they say it's activated but the speeds are still only around 1.5MB/s > 3.5MB/s

This is only about 25mbps, not even the standard 100mbps.

Yet I pay for 1gbps... the speed is not even any faster. On a VPS from another provider on 1gbps I get 50MB/s, here I get 1.5MB/s!

Speedtest shows that everything is fine.

But when i try to upload file myself to vps - I have a slightly different speed.

p.s. for me it is not problematic.

• WilliamWilliam Moderator
    Hello vivaldilester,

such differences between tests might indicate that the speed is restricted by some international node in between the VPS and your location from which the connection is done. To check the node routes, it would be required for you to perform MTR test from your location to VPS and from VPS to your location. The results of these two tests send us via ticket in the client system, so we could compare the routes and check if this is the reason for reducing speed to such number.

P.S. I assume that this is not restriction from your ISP side.
  • uk1uk1 Member
    With ours it's a node or something enroute between the VPS and the UK which slows the connection down. So not our own ISP but another one which the connection passes through.
  • vivaldilester:
    What program are you using to transfer the files? I recently found out that e.g. scp is not optimized to transfer files over the internet since the internal buffer size is very low and made for transfer over local network. So when I instead used the sftp client to transfer files it made a huge speed increase.

What I try to say is you should try different programs (and protocols) and see if that changes the speed.
  • uk1uk1 Member
    True about the protocol, however in our case we sftp from our own UK server and got much faster speeds downloading the same files. From our time4 backup servers it's very slow on 1GB due to a slowdown enroute somewhere.