frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Reset root password

I'm on your standard, OpenVZ based service with Ubuntu 14, and I have done several things to make sure only I can login as root - or any other user in fact.  What happens if I loose my private ssh keys or forget passwords?  Can my root password be reset?
Tagged:

Comments

• ReginaRegina Moderator
    Hey,

If you use SSH Keys and disable root user, then you will not be able to reset the password yourself or login using root password. If you can not login using SSH Key (with root being disabled), then you will have to contact us to enable root login to your server. 
  • So does this mean you ARE able to reset the root password?  Doesn't this imply a security risk for me?
  • ReginaRegina Moderator
    edited April 2019
    We can enable the root login from the node side. The reset of password would be done by you via Client Area.

If there is a possibility to login into the server, there is always a security risk. We always recommend to implement the security tips seen in this tutorial here:

https://community.time4vps.com/discussion/comment/406/