Docker support

gustavkarlsson
gustavkarlsson
I desperately need support for docker if I am to renew my membership.

From what I understand, the missing requirement is a Linux kernel version of at least 3.10.

I've talked to support about this before, and they've said it's planned for this summer, so let's hope they can stay true to that :)

Comments

  • Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Moderator
    Hello,

    yes, as you said, we have plans to start supporting "Dockers" at this summer. We will announce about it on our website immediately after it's done.
  • harupong
    harupong
    Member
    Glad to find out that the plan for Docker support is still active and has some kind of ETA :D

    Will it be supported on your OpenVZ based VPS only, or you'll be introducing KVM based VPS at the same time? I've tried Docker on OpenVZ based VPS, and the experience was really poor.
  • Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Moderator
    We planing to start offering KVM virtualization. "Dockers" support will be based on KVM, not OpenVZ.
  • harupong
    harupong
    Member
    Great news!! Thanks for sharing the plan, Lawrence.
  • mattin
    mattin
    Member
    Any update on this?
  • Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Moderator
    Dockers will be supported only on our KVM servers, we probably will not support it on OpenVZ servers.

    Unfortunately plans to introduce KVM (as well as Dockers support) has been postponed to autumn. We will provide more information about this shortly.
  • mattin
    mattin
    Member
    Thanks for update. ;) Looking forward for Docker support asap :)
  • andrey
    andrey
    Member
    Please, tell start date of Docker support?
  • mattin
    mattin
    Still no update on this? :(
  • Valentine
    Valentine
    Administrator
    At the moment we do not have exact ETA. However we have plans to introduce VPS with docker support in late Autumn.
  • Mte90
    Mte90
    Member
    Any updates about that? It is not possible to update the kernel on debian. I installed the package but is ignored :-/
  • Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Moderator
    Hello,

    good news! We support Dockers on our KVM based servers. There is information about it:

    https://billing.time4vps.eu/knowledgebase/article/101/do-you-offer-kvm-based-servers--linux--/

  • Mte90
    Mte90
    Member
    So for who as the openvz vps what have to do?
  • Lawrence
    Lawrence
    Moderator
    Mte90 said:
    So for who as the openvz vps what have to do?
    You are able to order KVM based server and manually transfer all data from your OpenVZ based servers.
  • Mte90
    Mte90
    Member
    So I have a XL plan, bought a less of a months, and I have to buy a new machine and pay again for docker support?
  • yarimmer
    yarimmer
    Member
    Is it possible that you will update your OpenVZ 6 to OpenVZ 7 ?
    The KVM servers are pretty much expensive.

    Basically its much more reason to find VPS OpenVZ 7 hosting instead.
  • Mte90
    Mte90
    Member
    I am trying to get working docker on my vps but I think that after that news I will probably ask for a reimburse :-/
  • Roman
    Roman
    Moderator
    Mte90 said:
    I am trying to get working docker on my vps but I think that after that news I will probably ask for a reimburse :-/
    If you need KVM server we can arrange it in place of your current Standard server.

    Docker can be installed only on our KVM servers.
  • matthias
    matthias
    Member
    Hey there,
    We use Nextcloud in a 2 TB storage VPS in our society and I have another one running privately. We both desperately try running Collabora Online, which requires docker.
    I know docker is supported in KVM servers but that's not the right ratio of storage, computation power and cost for a private file sharing server :( a storage server is much more suitable for us.

    Are there any plans to enable the installation of docker within the storage VPS? I read that OpenVZ supports docker in one of the newer versions: https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT
    I'm pretty sure the combination of a storage VPS and Nextcloud/Collabora is a common thing and there might be a lot of people that may profit from docker support.

    Best regards,
    Matthias
  • Giedrius
    Giedrius
    Moderator
    Hey Matthias,

    since the current version of OpenVZ we use in Standard and Storage VPS is coming to end of its life, we are now testing the newer version of container-based virtualization, which would support newer kernel, this would allow using Docker in all the packages that we offer. There is no ETA at the moment.
  • matthias
    matthias
    Member
    Hey Giedrius,

    Awesome! We're really looking forward and are happy about any updates :)

    Best regards,
    Matthias
  • synapticmx
    synapticmx
    Member
    matthias said:
    Hey there,
    We use Nextcloud in a 2 TB storage VPS in our society and I have another one running privately. We both desperately try running Collabora Online, which requires docker.
    I know docker is supported in KVM servers but that's not the right ratio of storage, computation power and cost for a private file sharing server :( a storage server is much more suitable for us.

    Are there any plans to enable the installation of docker within the storage VPS? I read that OpenVZ supports docker in one of the newer versions: https://openvz.org/Docker_inside_CT
    I'm pretty sure the combination of a storage VPS and Nextcloud/Collabora is a common thing and there might be a lot of people that may profit from docker support.

    Best regards,
    Matthias
    This is a common setup that i want to accomplish too.

    matthias said:
    Hey Giedrius,

    Awesome! We're really looking forward and are happy about any updates :)

    Best regards,
    Matthias
    +1
Sign In or Register to comment.
© 2013 - 2017 Time4VPS. All rights reserved. Powered by Vanilla
The opinions or views of users on the forum are those of the author and not of Time4VPS.