is software that allows you to manage your media and provides the ability to stream your media while away.
In this tutorial we will be using Ubuntu 16.04, however you should be able to install Plex
on all our offered Ubuntu and Debian versions.
In Time4VPS you are able to install Ubuntu 16.04 template really easy and fast, only with few mouse clicks:
- Login to the Clients Portal;
- Select at the top of menu the "My Services > VPS" tab;
- Press the "Manage" button at the service table;
- Press the "Install OS" button;
- Choose Ubuntu 16.04 operating system, agree with warning and press "Continue";
- Wait for 5-10 minutes and refresh VPS management page.
Let start and make sure were up to date before we do our install:
apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Now lets download Plex Media Server
. We are using the current version available at this moment (Aug 18, 2016) to get the latest version go to Plex Downloads
After this is downloaded we can install it with command:
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_126.96.36.1991-35f0caa_amd64.deb
After installation is complete do not forgot to delete installation file:
rm -f plexmediaserver_188.8.131.521-35f0caa_amd64.debConnect To The Plex Server
To enable remote access to the server first of all you have to login to the Plex
server being on the local network. If this is a remote install then you can connect using SSH tunnel. You can do it using PuTTY
Launch Putty. Different categories will be listed on the left side, click on:
- Connection > SSH > Tunnels
- Source port: 32400
- Destination: localhost:32400
- Click "Add"
After setting up the port tunnel, select "Session" from the category list on the left side.
Enter your server's IP in the "Host Name (or IP Address)" field and click the "Open" button at the bottom right.
Select Yes if prompted with this window:
Login as 'root' when prompted to login and your port tunnel will be setup.
Lastly open your browser and go to:http://localhost:32400/web/index.html
Login to the Plex. If you do not have account yet, sign up.Allow Remote Access To The Plex Server
- On the top right corner press "Settings" button
- Choose "Server" tab
- Then on the left menu choose "Remote Access"
- Lastly press "Allow Remote Desktop".Conclusion
That's it! You have installed and configured Plex Media Server
to run on your server and be accessible from other networks on all devices starting Smart TVs, Phones, Computers and so on.